MobaXterm Customization Part 1 (Basic steps)
Mobaxterm is the most popular putty alternative tool today for connecting from Windows desktop to Linux servers. I found this tool very powerful which comes with all features we need for system administration and DevOps, such as SSH, SCP, SFTP, Remote Desktop, and has a lot of options for customization. Let me share some tips and tricks from my experience with MobaXterm that you can do it quickly within a few minutes!
Downloading Home Edition
If you don't have a copy of the latest mobaxterm software, grab one now.
Download link: https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download.html
Move, Create Persistent Root and Home folders
After Download, move it to your preferred location
- Move the unzipped mobaxterm exe to Documents/mobaxterm folder.
- Create 2 folders, root and home
These folders will be used in the next step
Setting a persistent home folder
- Open the MobaXterm EXE file
- Click on the Settings button
- Mobaxterm Configuration window will pop up
- Under General TAB
- Click on the Persistent home directory and point it to the home folder we created
- Click on the Persistent root directory and point it to the root folder we created
Let me tell you the basic customization steps, for now, I shall write another page later for customizing terminal in detail.
- Go to Terminal TAB
- Check paste using right-click
- Review other options as well as per your liking
- Under Misc TAB, there are a few very useful time-saving options
- Check my selections below, choose startup tab as terminal
- This will give us a new bash shell directly, every time we startup mobaxterm and while opening a new tab
Bonus option (if you did not know it! )
Your Mobaxterm is ready to use with basic customization by now.
Create a shortcut to your desktop as shown below,
This is Part 1 of this article (MobaXterm customization), I will cover more customization options and methods to customize the local bash profile in Part 2 article.